History

The History of the Clarendon/Medical/Windle Building

  • 1845

    University College Cork was originally called Queen's College Cork. It is established, in 1845, as one of three Queen’s Colleges created at Cork, Galway and Belfast.

  • 1849

    Queen's College Cork opens its doors for the first time.

  • 1850

    A donation is provided by Lord Clarendon, then Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, for a new medical building on the campus. Architects Thomas Deane and Benjamin Woodward draw up plans to complement the Quadrangle buildings, which they also designed. In honour of its benefactor, the medical building is known as the Clarendon Building.

  • 1866/7

    The Clarendon Building is modified and extended by the Office of Public Works. Construction appears to have begun on the southernmost building, housing a lecture theatre. A central portion is added shortly afterwards, linking it to the Clarendon Building.

  • 1867

    The original building is bookended by two additional blocks, housing the Department of Anatomy and more lecture theatres.

  • 1877/8

    A large L-shaped block is added to the north, including dissecting rooms and a new museum.

  • 1881

    The addition of a large window gives more light to the Anatomy Lecture Theatre. The roof is also raised to double height, providing tiered seating.

  • 1907

    A new dissecting room is provided for the exclusive use of female medical students. Earlier, the dissecting room had been screened off so that men and women would be able to carry out their dissections separately from one another.

  • 1909

    The lecture theatre to the ground floor is made smaller, providing corridor access to a new single-storey extension to the rear.

  • 1949

    The gallery is removed from the museum building and floor is installed.

  • 1980

    The Department of Anatomy is completely renovated.

  • 1982

    With the opening of the Boole Library, the medical library relocates to the new building. This frees up space for a modern mortuary facility and a new dissecting room to the north end of the medical building on the upper floor of the former museum.

  • 2005

    The School of Medicine moves to the new Brookfield Health Sciences Complex.

  • 2011

    In September 2011, the Department of Anatomy relocates to state-of-the-art facilities in the new Western Gate Building. The move is the end of an era for the Clarendon/Medical/Windle Building.

  • Be Part
    Of Our
    Story!