The Student Hub Project, a partnership between staff and students, will deliver a unique building for the whole university community. Architects, O’Donnell + Tuomey, used the following principles to guide the building project:
- Be interactive, flexible and adaptable to current and future teaching, learning and technological developments;
- Be student serving and student led;
- Facilitate collaboration, team working, innovation and creativity;
- Inspire, support and promote those within it and those connected with it;
- Reflect, accommodate and support the student journey at all stages;
- Be inclusive in all respects, sensitive to students’ differences and learning/development needs;
- Be cognisant of UCC heritage and take a lead in writing the’ next chapter’.
“The Student Hub will truly transform the student experience in UCC. From the provision of innovative, technology-rich teaching spaces to the co-location of more than 25 student services , the Student Hub project will deliver on UCC’s ambition of providing a world-class student experience.”
Dr Michael Byrne
Head of the Student Experience, UCC
Floor plans for the Student Hub
Please note that all plans and illustrations are for indicative purposes only and are subject to change.
- Clubs & Societies: an open-plan space for clubs and societies to use, with 35 work stations, a reception desk, administration offices and a project room.
- Student Media: open-plan work spaces for student media writers, and private offices for editors.
- Student Jobs Hub: resource and waiting area, with a number of consultation rooms for one-to-one careers advice.
- Art Room: a ‘wet room’ for students to use when working on projects that can get a bit messy!
- UCC 98.3 FM: the Hub will be the new home to UCC 98.3 FM. A large broadcasting window will provide a glimpse into the day-to-day life in a busy radio station.
- Walkway: this area of the building has been cut out to provide a covered outdoor public space that links the building with the main campus.
- Front Desk: the main entrance to the building will have a front desk providing a wide range of services to students.
- Teaching & Learning Room: a bookable, creative teaching and learning space with state-of-the-art technology.
- Market Hall: a large, multi-functional space that can house anything from pop-up exhibitions and Freshers orientation, to performances and concerts. This ‘common’ space will have a double height ceiling with lots of natural light.
- Co-Op Kitchen: kitchen space open for students..
- External Public Space: a gathering, event and performance landscaped space outside the building.
- Students’ Union: a reception area and open-plan office for the Students’ Union that includes consultation rooms and meeting areas.
- Student Services Offices: the building provides a central location for many of the student services that are currently dispersed across campus.
- UCC+ Resource Room: A dedicated room for students involved in the UCC+ programme.
- Mezzanine: a creative learning and study space for group and individual work. The area has a coffee/tea point and flexible furniture.
- Learning Bridge: a bridge overlooking the main hall of the building that connects the common areas to student services. a long bench will also provide an extra area for students to sit and work.
- The Steps: an impressive stepped space for performances, guest speakers, student and other events.
- Consultation Rooms: used by the student services during the working day. The rooms will be opened as bookable group/individual study spaces to students in the evening.
Tower Floor 1
- Careers Office: open plan office for the Careers Service.
- Consultation Rooms: private consultation rooms for careers advice and student services. Open for student activities by night.
Tower Floor 2
- Open Project Space: open teaching and learning space.
- Project/Meeting Rooms: bookable high-tech project rooms for use by groups or individuals.
- Clubs & Societies Space: additional meeting space for clubs and societies.
Tower Floor 3
- Top Floor Open Space: a large multifunctional space with panoramic view of the campus and Sunday’s Well. A destination room in the building, this bookable space can be used for high profile events, conferences, ceremonies, exhibitions, performances, meetings, social events and more.
Market Hall Scale Comparison